I have a confession. When my first baby was born, the nurse said she was going to check the bilirubin, and I thought it was somebody’s name. You know, like “Billy Reuben.” I wasn’t stupid; I was a well-educated professional in a different field. But obviously, I had no idea who/what bilirubin was, or why she cared to check it.
A lot of parents find themselves in the same position–they want to be actively involved in their child’s healthcare, but they don’t always have the information they need. Just like me, they’re too embarrassed to ask. And when they seek information on their own, it’s frequently hard to decide what to believe. That’s the reason I began writing several years ago, and I’m grateful to be able to help so many parents navigate these issues.
I write for parents who want to know “why”–those that want to understand their child’s health so that they can make truly informed decisions. But medicine isn’t simple, and neither is learning how to interpret the science behind it. My goal is to not to water down these issues, but to distill it into meaningful but manageable posts. I hope it helps you in some way. If you like what you read, be sure to sign up for my mailing list, or follow me on Facebook or Twitter for updates about new posts.
Recent Posts (in case you missed them):
The best way to browse this site is by using the category buttons above, or the search bar in the top right corner. I’ve posted links to a few of my favorites below:
- The Parent’s [Long-Overdue] Guide to Antibiotics
- Why NOT to Take Your Child to the ER
- A Formula for Success: The Ultimate Guide to Infant Formulas (and here’s The List)
- When a Fever Really Matters
- What happens in the newborn nursery…goes home with you
- RSV: When Less is More
- Spit Happens: The Ins and Outs of Infant Reflux
- Potty Training: Ten Steps to Success
- Keep Cancer From Getting Your Kids: the HPV Vaccine
- Breathing Better: The Parent’s Guide to Asthma Management
- Out of Focus: When Back to School Isn’t Going Well
- Reframing Complementary and Alternative Medicine
- Essential Oils: A Poor Choice for Asthma (and a few other things)